Posted on January 31 2016
Sometimes at One Boutique, we just want a cake. And we want it 5 minutes from the time we started thinking about it! We lied, it's not just 'sometimes', it's kind of on an hourly basis...
Within the time you spend going to the shops to get a chocolate cake full of additives, why not go a bit less guilty (only slightly) and knock together one of these little cupcakes using just your microwave and a few simple ingredients. They're made from pretty standard bits & bobs that most of us will have in our cupboards, but if not we've noted some substitutions that you might be able to get away with using instead.
All Purpose Flour - 4 tbsp
Sugar - 4 tbsp
Nutella - 2 tbsp (alternatively throw in 2tbsp of chocolate chips and mix)
Vegetable Oil (butter or olive oil will also do!) - 3 tbsp
Milk (normal or soya will work!)- 4 tbsp
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 1 tbsp (or use 2tbsp of drinking chocolate & remove 1 tbsp of sugar)
Egg - 1
Icing Sugar - for dusting (optional)
Vanilla extract - 2 drops (optional - alternatively spice it up with a little sprinkle of cinnamon)
Baking Powder - 1/4 tsp
1. Select a large, microwaveable mug to minimise the chance of overspilling
1. Add the egg to the mug and whisk well. Add the milk, vanilla extract (optional) & vegetable oil and mix well, followed by the Nutella or chocolate chips.
2. Add the flour, baking powder, optional cinnamon, sugar & cocoa powder to the mug & mix gently until the ingredients are JUST combined (overworking the mix will result in a flat cake!)
3. Microwave on high for 1.5 - 2 minutes until the edges become fudgy. The cake will continue to cook for a few minutes after it is removed from the microwave so don't worry if it looks a little under-cooked, or if it's over-spilling a little - it will shrink as it cools.
4. Leave to cool for 1 minute. Sprinkle with the icing sugar if required and serve
And that's it - the One Boutique almost-instant microwave cake!
Photo credit: Relish The Bite
Original recipe by One Boutique